Friday, July 29, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 29

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:
The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


Sun., July 23:  "H. was over for dinner, & we made ice cream.  Alice went to Lancaster with Herman for a wk.  H. & I went to ball game, same Lester & Eva.  Went with Clara & Barney to Berdo."

Mon., July 24:  "Mama & I washed.  Chev. salesman came up to try & sell us a car.  It sure is hot.  Coopers' were over in the eve."

Tues., July 25:  "Chev. salesman took mama & I for a ride.  It sure rained about noon.  H. Hesser was here in the afternoon.  Essex salesman came also.  I went over to Clara's.  Saw H.  It sure is hot."

Wed., July 26:  "Mama & I went to town.  We had the car greased.  Ate lunch at Hazel's.  Visited Uncle Jont's awhile.  We went to see Norah at the hospital.  It was 107 today."

Thurs., July 27:  "Mama & I sewed.  I made me a dress.  Mama did most of it,.  It certainly is muggy & hot.  Mr. Cooper was over for a little while in the eve."



Fri., July 28:  "Mama & I washed.  In the afternoon I went to Millers then to Hazel's.  H. & I went to town.  Went to hospital & took sweet peas to Norah.  Then went to the show."

Sat., July 29:  "We ironed.  Mrs. Holloman came up with Knights & they were here for lunch.  Mama & I made me a dress."


 Images courtesy of http://sensibility.com/vintageimages/1930s/.

No comments:

Post a Comment