Friday, July 1, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 25

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


Sun., June 25:  "I picked cherries at Coopers.  Herman went home about 4 pm.  Alice & I went to Yucaipa in the eve.  Got H. & went up to visit Trowbridges.  Earl is no better."

Mon., June 26:  "I packed peaches at Pete's.  I saw Hazel at noon, Earl is no better.  Dad & I picked pie cherries after work."

Tues., June 27:  "I packed peaches.  Earl almost died this morning.  Folks voted.  H., Delma, Ben & I went to town.  Delma & I went to the show.  H. & Ben went to the hospital."

Wed., June 28:  "Earl died this morn. at 3 am.  Mama, Alice, H. & I went to Berdo in the afternoon.  H. bought a suit.  In the eve. Alice, H. & I went up to Plumlees' for awhile."

Thurs., June 29:  "Clara waved my hair.  I stayed up at Trowbridges for dinner.  Went with Plumlees' down to the funeral in the afternoon.  I stayed all night with Delma.  In the eve. we went to church."

Fri., June 30:  "I picked cherries at Plumlees'.  Mama & Alice got some due {??} berries from Mrs. Trowbridge.  Clara came over.  Clara, H., Delma, Ben & I went to the show."

Sat., July 1:  "Mama, Alice & I went to town.  We canned cherries in the afternoon."

                                      

2 comments:

  1. Liz,
    Your grandmother is referring to dewberries....smaller than, but similar to blackberries. (June 30 entry).
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cindy!! I couldn't figure that out for the life of me! (In my defense, she did spell it "due"!)

    ReplyDelete